libertas_sdio on at91sam9263

Pierre Ossman drzeus at drzeus.cx
Tue Dec 18 10:28:31 EST 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:57:57 -0500
Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:

> Pierre would have to weigh in here, but we decided to keep the stack
> free from this workaround.  This is a problem with SDIO controllers, and
> network drivers shouldn't have to carry hacks to work around broken SDIO
> controllers, because that's just really the wrong place for this sort of
> thing.  There are some nice layering violations necessary to fix this,
> and Pierre opted for keeping the stack hack-free but adding a note in
> if_sdio.c:

Right. And this seems to have been a sound choice. There has been several incidents, but so far almost all the controllers can be fixed. People just need a poke to get it done. ;)

> This bug is more common than you might expect; the OLPC CAFE SDIO
> controller also has this problem.  The spec should probably be clearer
> since so many chip vendors seem to screw this up.

The fundamental problem of MMC/SD/SDIO is that there are no compliance tests. So buggy hardware is the norm in all aspects of the system.

Rgds
Pierre