Linville update wireless-2.6/everything

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Dec 4 11:20:55 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 10:48 -0500, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 03:21:32PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>
> > > Dan ACKed those patches -- why shouldn't they have been merged?
> > > Aren't your patches going on top of them?
> >
> > I don't have patches. I use git.
>
> Tomato, tomato...  Ok, there is some difference --

The important difference is that a 'patch' can be committed many times
in many different places in many different git trees (or branches).
That's many _different_ git-commits. But only one patch.

People who use git will base their work on a given commit. And if that
commit suddenly disappears in a rebase or re-commit, and never makes it
into Linus' tree, that's a pain.

>  it just doesn't matter in most cases -- only for a "clean pull".

I'm not sure I know what a 'clean pull' means, in this context.

> > My git commits are going on top of Holgers commits, yes. Commits such as
> > 6591e36a1c52445f95f26738394909ee9bf94390 for example.
> >
> > But when that change was in your wireless tree and was considered a
> > 'patch', I believe it was actually a _different_ commit. So I couldn't
> > just base my git tree on it.
>
> FWIW I haven't rebased 'everything' yet, although I do plan to rebase
> on -rc4 soon.

Right. Which is why I chose _not_ to base my git tree on yours, but on
Linus' tree.

> > I _thought_ we'd agreed on IRC that I would commit such changes myself,
> > and they would be in the libertas-2.6.git tree. And you wouldn't commit
> > them separately to another tree. Perhaps I misunderstood.
>
> I don't really see the conflict.  It just seems to me that the pain
> is all mine -- when you are done I pull your tree, figure-out which
> commits are new, and reapply them on top of whatever is current.
> What is the big deal?

That's true to a certain extent, but I was trying to _avoid_ causing
that pain. If you weren't keeping libertas patches in your patch-stack,
then there would be no pain. You'd just have a clean tree to pull from.

It also causes pain for me if I intend to _continue_ working on libertas
after 2.6.25, rewriting more and more parts of it individually until
there's none of the original bsMarvellCode left. Because you destroy the
commits in my tree and you send different commits upstream.

--
dwmw2