sorry, I messed in the git tree

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Tue Dec 4 02:02:52 EST 2007

Hi David !

Sorry, I messed in the git tree. "git push" is new to me and it
was too early. Err, no. The problem was between keyboard and
screen ...

First I did a commit & push where I forgot the
leading "libertas: " string to the patch-subject. As I did
already git-push it, without looking at my git-log I didn't know
how to change that. "git commit -c" doesn't work on
git.infradead.org, because it doesn't have a checked-out-tree.
The other clean-up-your-mess commands that I know (e.g.
git-reset) won't work on an non-checked-out git-tree either.

So I tried to change the commit message with "git-commit -c" on
my local tree. I commited that and pushed it ... woaa, now a
work-in-progress patch that was still lying in my checked out
tree was committed under a wrong patch.

So I now had two junk patches committed and pushed. I then
resorted to "git-revert"ing them and pushing this again.

Now we the tree is OK again, but I have 4 mess commits in it. And
I'm stopping direcly committing to the tree for now until I'm a
bit more used to git.

I think I can do some things against that happening again:

* git-log before git-push
* git-commit -v (which put's the patch into the commit message)
* no quick git-push, even when it's easy and fast :-)