getscanlist command redundant?

Ronak Chokshi rchokshi at marvell.com
Thu Nov 16 13:04:13 EST 2006

Dan and Marcelo,
Your comments are pretty much accurate. extscan is used to scan for a
particular SSID and getscanlist is actually is get the latest scan
results from the scan buffers in the driver. Unlike, 'iwlist ethX scan',
issuing getscanlist does not really issue a scan - it just gets the
latest scan results from the drivers.

As you can probably envision, these commands are used for roaming use
cases. For example, application would use the getscanlist to get the
latest set of probe responses or would use the extscan to actually scan
for one particular AP.

Thanks
Ronak