wireless extensions improvement tasks

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jun 29 12:25:29 EDT 2006

Hi,

Some points to start with for WEXT cleanups:

a) Need to separate the ENCODE handler into WPA and non-WPA sections;
the WPA sections should be handled by an ENCODEEXT handler and an AUTH
handler, rather than overloading the ENCODE handler for WPA too

b) Need to fix the non-WPA ENCODE handler to turn the key on when you
just set 'iwconfig eth1 essid bar key <foo>' instead of requiring a
separate 'iwconfig eth1 key on'.  I've got a patch for this already in
the works.

c) Need to convert more of the private ioctl() calls over to WEXT where
appropriate (WLANSCAN_TYPE, WLANSETWPAIE, etc)

d) Turn on reassociation by default

e) Ensure bitrate reporting works correctly when reported via WEXT calls
(Wasn't seeing it change in iwconfig when signal quality changed
drastically)

f) Send more WEXT events to userspace (HandleMICFailureEvent() call
should report via IWEVMICHAELMICFAILURE rather than IWEVCUSTOM)

Cheers,
Dan

PS - For those of you who may not know who I am...

My name is Dan Williams and I work for Red Hat on OLPC.  Previously to
being on the RH OLPC team I worked quite a bit on Linux wireless
networking, including driver cleanups for conformance to the Linux
Wireless Extensions "standard".