Progress on OLPC's board wireless device

Javier Cardona javier at cozybit.com
Fri Jun 16 05:40:21 EDT 2006

Hi Marcelo,

On Thursday 15 June 2006 13:48, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 06:32:02PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:10:04PM -0700, Ronak Chokshi wrote:
> > > Hi Marcelo,
> > > Regarding the USB firmware download hang issue, I don't think we have
> > > seen that issue on our test beds.
> > >
> > > Regarding the issue with the Association command here are some points,
> > > 	I don't think we have seen that one also here in our side.
> > > 	Can you send me a sniffer capture on this?
> >
> > OK - will do it tomorrow.
> >
> > > 	What is the AP that you are trying to associate?
> >
> > A D-Link 700G (802.11a/b/g) - tried 11 and 54Mbps.
> >
> > > 	I hope that you are using the correct firmware (standalone
> > > client firmware and not the firmware that works with Roofnet) by any
> > > chance.
> >
> > usb8388_A1_W8015FP14_FW2.bin which is the standalone one, right?
> >
> > Will recheck that I'm running that tomorrow.
>
> I _am_ an idiot. Was using the wrong firmware.

Just wanted to give you a bit more info about the raw firmware so you
can understand what was going on...

The other (raw) firmware, expects 802.11 frames from the driver.
In that case, the association state machine in the firmware is disabled,
and any 802.3 frame received from the driver is dropped (this was the cause of
the Tx timeouts that you saw).

The raw firmware is only useful for generating test traffic or for other
networking applications that require 802.11 frames (e.g. roofnet).  In that
case, you must use libpcap to inject the traffic, and set the linkmode
parameter on the driver to 2.

Cheers,

--
Javier Cardona