[LEDE-DEV] 18.06 Status?

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Sun May 6 00:56:13 PDT 2018

On 06/05/18 09:43, Jaap Buurman wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> That is most excellent to hear :) Please disregard my previous
> comment. Where did this decision take place by the way? I tried
> searching the mailing list but couldn't find anything. My apologies
> for bothering the mailing list with this porposal while it was already
> taken care of.
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Jaap Buurman
>
> On Sat, May 5, 2018, 19:57 John Crispin <john at phrozen.org
> <mailto:john at phrozen.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 05/05/18 12:27, Jaap Buurman wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I feel like everybody is just waiting for everybody to agree what
>     > features we want in before coming up with the next step of picking a
>     > date. Obviously this isn't working out very well. Why not turn
>     things
>     > around? Pick a date in a few weeks time on which the Master branch
>     > will be split to a 18.0X branch. If nobody complains before that
>     date
>     > the branch goes on as planned. People can obviously get in the
>     > features they want before said date. If somebody deems a particular
>     > feature very important to be included in this branch, but feels like
>     > it will not be finished before said date, he/she can request a delay
>     > stating:
>     >
>     > -What he/she would like to include
>     > -Why this is so important to be included before the branch.
>     > -How much extra time this will need by proposing a new date
>     > -Perhaps a request for help implementing said change
>     >
>     > Should this proposal be accepted, we will reschedule the date from
>     > there. If the other people don't think it is important enough to
>     > postpone the release, the old date will stand. This way, we can
>     simply
>     > move forward if nobody complains about a particular date instead of
>     > the waiting around for others that is going on right now. What does
>     > everybody else think of this idea? What seems like a reasonable
>     date?
>     > And who would be willing to take on the task of splitting the branch
>     > at said date to make sure we'll be actually moving forward with the
>     > plan at said date?
>     >
>     > Yours sincerely,
>     >
>     > Jaap Buurman
>     >
>     > On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 4:41 AM, Eric Luehrsen
>     <ericluehrsen at gmail.com <mailto:ericluehrsen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >> On 05/01/2018 10:47 AM, Hannu Nyman wrote:
>     >>> I think that the main source tree is in pretty good shape, so
>     branching
>     >>> off the 18.0X rather soon might make sense....
>     >>
>     >> I would also think its time to branch 18.[something-soon], and
> [...]
Hi,

please dont top post. The discussion happened here on the ML. we
exchanged mails that we will do a 18.06 and now with june coming up we
exchanged 5 lines on IRC trying to figure out when we have time to do
the branching. this whole discussion is just creating FUD. we announced
18.06 almost 2 months ago and now with june coming up we are executing
the plan. no more no less. i really dont understand the commotion.
thanks to alberto for providing some useful comments to the discussion.

     John