[LEDE-DEV] DNS split horizon *without* dnsmasq

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Mar 23 10:31:03 PDT 2018

Hi all,

As the ISC-DHCP maintainer, I need to eat my own dogfood so I run that here, before anyone quips, “Why don’t you just run dnsmasq instead?”

So… I have some internal names that I want to be able to resolve internally, but I also need to provide DNS service for all of my DHCP clients.

Is there a way to prime a “fake” local zone (or cache) and run a caching only nameserver that’s been primed with this “split-horizon” info (i.e. the local names for machines on 192.168.1.0/24, etc)?

Or equally, have DHCP prime the local names into the DNS as they get allocated (well, that wouldn’t fully solve my problem as my mail server has a statically allocated IP address, so DHCP wouldn’t know about that).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Philip