[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] Migrating packages from oldpackages to packages

Peter Denison openwrt at marshadder.org
Tue Mar 6 10:00:49 PST 2018

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:

> On 03/04/2018 11:39 AM, Peter Denison wrote:
>> When migrating a package from the unmaintained 'oldpackages' feed to the
>> main 'packages' feed:
>>
>> 1) Should I try to preserve history? If so, how do I do that on just one
>> directory (my git-fu is not that good)?
>
> No this is not needed, you can add this in one commit. Just mention in
> the commit message where you have copied it from.
>
>> 2) Is it acceptable / preferable to do two commits, one to move the
>> package as is, and a second to bring it up to date and fix its building,
>> or should it just be a single commit?
>
> You can do this in one commit.

OK. I have adjusted the commit(s).

>> 3) Do I need to do anything other than a pull request on github to offer
>> to maintain a package? (Presumably also a pull request to delete it from
>> oldpackages)
>
> No not really, you should probably update the package to a more recent
> version I assume that version in oldpackage is outdated.

Yes, it was. I have updated to the most recent version, which fortunately
reduces the dependencies.

I've raised PR#5715 on github for the adoption of gkrellmd. Many thanks
for your advice. Will you delete it from oldpackages when it goes in to
packages, or would you also like a PR for that?

Peter

--
Peter Denison <openwrt at marshadder.org>