[LEDE-DEV] wifi direct / wifi p2p

Karl Pálsson karlp at etactica.com
Tue Mar 6 04:08:51 PST 2018

Hi,

I've been trying to get wifi p2p aka wifi direct working on an ar9331 board.  [1]  And I'm a little curious whether this has ever worked for anyone at all.
wpad (allegedly "full") doesn't actually include the CONFIG_P2P settings, [2] and even after patching it in (along with CONFIG_AP, as per http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/tree/wpa_supplicant/README-P2P I can't get any of the p2p commands to work.  "iw phy" indicates that P2P-client and P2P-GO interface modes are available.  But nothing in wpa_cli related to p2p works at all.

# wpa_cli -p /var/run/hostapd
Selected interface 'wlan0'
> p2p_find
UNKNOWN COMMAND
> ping
PONG

"help" shows all the p2p commands being available, but I think that's just because this patch blindly turns it on, which seems like a fairly poor patch, I can't work out what this patch is really actually trying to do, surely the builds should already have the right configurations when they're built? https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/network/services/hostapd/patches/431-wpa_cli_ifdef.patch;h=2c9fe28a1d617f804f821ac8696d7093bb1553c0;hb=HEAD

I've also tried the original plain wpa-supplicant-p2p package, which presumable exists because someone at somepoint had this working, but I get the same results, "UNKNOWN COMMAND" on anything p2p related, and infact, _most_ commands, not just the p2p commands.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson

[1] To avoid xy problem, my goal is to to allow AP+STA style access to a device, where the AP remains functional for configuration, even if the STA config has the wrong password, or the upstream AP goes away.  This currently does _not_ work with regular AP+STA, the AP dies while the STA side continually tries to connect and fail
[2] https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/network/services/hostapd/files/wpa_supplicant-full.config;h=c22e1cca5d02dd27b17e35f71f5cae92eb0fb8aa;hb=HEAD#l495