[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] patchwork

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:05:47 PST 2018

On 18 January 2018 at 03:44, Jo-Philipp Wich <jo at mein.io> wrote:
> Hi John, Alex,
>
> I have no problem with closing / autorejecting open tickets in patchwork
> as long as they somehow remain available for future reference.
>
>> To add here. Would it be possible/desire-able to add an auto-timeout
>> to patchwork & github PRs, issues to close after X time ? Maybe make
>> it official as part of the submission process.
>
> I would very much like that and have been thinking about this various
> times, maybe it is time to finally implement it.
>
> I could think of an idle timeout ranging somewhere between 3 to 6 months.

Before the automatic expiration mechanism is put in place for Github
PRs, I think it is appropriate to draw a distinction between PRs that
have become stale because:
(1) their authors have not responded to requested changes, and
(2) members with write privileges have neglected these PRs.

There is more than a handful of PRs currently bit-rotting in
openwrt/packages that are ready for merging, with all requested
changes in place since many months ago. Auto-closing such PRs will
offend the contributors who would see their effort go down the drain
only because no one in the LEDE/OpenWrt community had the time to
review and merge their PRs.

I am not blaming anyone personally here as I acknowledge that efforts
to review and merge PRs are voluntary and unpaid. However, as a
community I think we are responsible for establishing a mechanism that
encourages contributions to the project.