[LEDE-DEV] Espressobin mvebu64

Nishant Sharma codemarauder at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 02:26:08 PST 2018

On Friday 05 January 2018 03:34 PM, Jonas Gorski wrote:
> In theory yes, but in practice it will require quite a bit of work,
> depending on how much they departed from how OpenWrt expects targets
> to be.
>
> First of all you need to find someone who is willing to not only do
> the cleanup work, but also to spend time for a while maintaining the
> new target, reacting to bug reports and fixing/updating things.
> Ideally someone with access to hardware.
>
> The initial porting effort will require converting the target from
> using an external kernel tree to a set of patches located at
> target/linux/<target>/patches-*, updating the kernel to at least 4.9,
> if not 4.14, and converting the image generation part to the new image
> code.

I have access to the hardware, there is a board powered on at my desk
here with the vanilla image compiled from Marvell sources.

uname -a says:
Linux OpenWrt 4.4.8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 15 15:03:18 UTC 2017 aarch64
GNU/Linux

and banner mentions:
DESIGNATED DRIVER (Bleeding Edge, 12009)

which is pretty old I believe.

I have done the following till now:

* checked out tag v17.01.4 from github.com/openwrt
* copied the directory target/linux/mvebu64 from Marvell's openwrt
source to
* chose the target from make menuconfig followed by make defconfig and
make in order to build the toolchain, which is still building

Waiting for it to finish and will need further directions to proceed.

Regards,
Nishant