[LEDE-DEV] kernel version status

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Feb 18 13:43:42 PST 2018

The next OpenWrt release will use kernel 4.9 and kernel 4.14 depending
on the target. All targets that are *not* on either kernel 4.9 or 4.14
will not be included in the next release.

I did some overview of the kernel version some months ago here:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-dev/2017-October/009446.html

Here is the current situation as of today:

The following targets are on kernel 4.14 and are fine:
* apm821xx
* archs38
* armvirt
* cns3xxx
* malta
* mediatek
* octeon
* octeontx
* sunxi
* x86

The following targets are on kernel 4.9 and are fine:
* ar71xx
* ar7
* arc770
* at91
	There are some patches for kernel 4.14 on the mailing list
	waiting for response from author
* ath25
* bcm53xx
	patches for 4.14 are available in master
* brcm2708
* brcm47xx
* brcm63xx
	patches for 4.14 are available in master
* imx6
	There are some patches for kernel 4.14 on the mailing list
	which is being worked on
* ipq806x
* ixp4xx
* kirkwood
* lantiq
	patches for 4.14 are in Mathias Kresin's staging tree.
* layerscape
* mpc85xx
* mvebu
	patches for 4.14 are available in master
	I would like to get this to kernel 4.14 by default soon.
* mxs
* omap
* orion
* pistachio
* ramips
	patches for 4.14 are available in master
* rb532
* uml

The following targets are on kernel 4.4 and will probably not be
included in the next release:
* gemini
* oxnas
* zynq

The following targets are on kernel 3.18 and will probably not be
included in the next release:
* adm5120
* adm8668
* au1000
* mcs814x
	I have patches which port this target to 4.4 in my tree, but
	nobody tested them.
	https://git.lede-project.org/?p=lede/hauke/staging.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kernel-4.4
* ppc40x
* ppc44x
* xburst
	I have patches which port this target to 4.4 in my tree, but
	nobody tested them
	https://git.lede-project.org/?p=lede/hauke/staging.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/kernel-4.4

This target is on kernel 4.1 (WTF):
* omap24xx

All the targets which are not on kernel 4.9 or 4.14 will probably not be
included in the next release, I also haven't seen any activity for any
of them to get support for more recent kernel versions, if you need them
please take care now.

Hauke