[LEDE-DEV] Advice on filesystem for x86 (CF card)

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:09:51 PDT 2018

> > I didn't know a way to expand squashfs, so decided to compile the image
> > and adjusted /root size as per the size of the disk.
> >

> I'm using the Image Builder to create custom images. I can't find any
> option how to specify the size of the rootfs and/or the overlay.

> Is it possible with Image Builder or must I build the whole thing from
> source?

You can also expand the overlay partition directly on img file or after the
installation.

First expand this physical partition. I like to do it with parted (script
friendly) but it is not available
as OpenWrt tool:

$ /usr/sbin/parted OpenWrt...combined.img resizepart 2 100%

If you need to do it inside OpenWrt, you can do it with fdisk or cfdisk. I
would recommend cfdisk:
it is very user friendly, no need for details. Just reboot after you change
it. However, LEDE version
does not resize. You'll need to use fdisk and remove partition 2 and
recreate it using the exactly
same beginning.

Now resizing the filesystem depends on which fs you use. If you are using
f2fs (LEDE and OpenWrt snapshot),
you can expand using a mounted filesystem. You just need to remount overlay
as ro. It might be a bug
but when I did in a rw mounted fs, it exploded my filesystem.

# mount -o remount,ro /overlay
# resize.f2fs /dev/loop0 # from f2fs-tools
# reboot

If you use jffs2, I don't really know a way to expand it. Probably, there
isn't one. You need to simply erase it
in failsafe after partition was expanded.

I had some trouble with failsafe and x86 in VMs because it uses serial as
the last console (the only one used in failsafe)
and network did not get up in vbox. I just needed to remove reference of
serial console in grub. In your case, you might be
using serial anyway.

Regards,

---
      Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca