[LEDE-DEV] Updating Perl to 5.26.1

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Sep 28 15:04:15 PDT 2017

>>>>> "Philip" == Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> writes:

Philip> Hi.  I’m trying to update Perl from 5.24.1 to 5.26.1 but running
Philip> into some issues.

Philip> We don’t use ./Configure to build the target versions (just the
Philip> host version), so when new settings are added, we need to figure
Philip> out what they are… and what the appropriate settings are for all
Philip> processors.

Philip> And word is from upstream that 5.28.1 will have even more stuff
Philip> that we need to add to get it to build.

Philip> Wondering if there isn’t an easier way to figure out
Philip> automatically what those settings should be.

Philip> Obviously we can’t compile and run for other platforms, but we
Philip> can compile and extract information from those images (with
Philip> objdump, nm, etc).

Philip> A lot of the tests that get run during Configure (grep ‘$run
Philip> ./try’ Configure) are run just to dump out information about the
Philip> result of compilation… most of which could also be extracted
Philip> just by examining the generated object (such as with objdump
Philip> -d).

Philip> Anyone have any suggestions for things we can try to make
Philip> ./Configure work for cross-compiles as well?

Philip> Because doing version updates seems to involve a fair amount of
Philip> guesswork about what the correct values are for a whole gamut of
Philip> platforms, and this seems error-prone.

A long time ago, I tracked down a bug in the perl builds on a brcm47xx
device by installing a native toolchain in an nfs-mounted rootfs and,
over about 24 hours, running the auto configuration script on the target
device.

I have no idea if the situation has improved since then, maybe 10 years
ago.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net