[LEDE-DEV] umdns - TTL restricted to 255

Philipp Meier philipp.meier at neratec.com
Mon Sep 25 07:44:54 PDT 2017

Hi,

When using umdns I was wondering why my mDNS query did not get any answer.

I found the following reason:

My mDNS query has TTL field set to 1. But LEDE umdns package expects a
TTL value of 255 (see interface.c function read_socket4).

According
https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/5-avahi-daemon.conf/ (see
check-response-ttl) this was necessary security behavior in older mDNS
versions but will be incompatible with newer versions of mDNS
implementations.

Therefore my question here is: Is this by purpose restricted to 255 by
LEDE umdns package or could this be changed?

Regards
Philipp