[LEDE-DEV] Lede/Openwrt documentation

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Fri Oct 27 12:41:41 PDT 2017

Hi Alberto,

On 27-10-17, John Norton wrote:
> On 27/10/2017 10:46, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> >On 24-10-17, John Norton wrote:
> >>On 24/10/2017 18:02, Javier Domingo Cansino wrote:
> >>Imho (what I would do) is just migrate current LEDE wiki content in OpenWRT
> >>wiki,
> >>while current OpenWRT stuff is either obsoleted (where it is replaced by the
> >>LEDE wiki articles) or moved to suit the same general structure of LEDE
> >>wiki.
> >Don't underestimate the amount of contributions made to the OpenWrt wiki
> >during the LEDE/OpenWrt split.  Old habits are hard to break :)
> >

> Don't overestimate the amount of content in LEDE wiki. It's mostly core
> documentation.

Don't get me wrong: there is no question that the LEDE wiki has improved
quite a lot during the split, both in content and organisation.  And given
the amount of effort that went into it (especially the ToH), it only makes
sense to use it as the "authoritative" source when merging the two wikis.

What I was saying is simply this: out of habit, some people (including
myself) have contributed content to the OpenWrt wiki instead of the LEDE
wiki.  Just look at this for example:

  https://wiki.openwrt.org/start?do=recent
  https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless?do=revisions
  https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/packages?do=revisions

> LEDE wiki can be moved over as-is, its articles more or less directly
> obsoleting their analogue in the OpenWRT wiki after a quick read and source
> modification check after the merge.
>
> Bulk of content in OpenWRT wiki does not have an analogue in LEDE wiki, so
> that can just be re-arranged without modification (for now).

Your proposed method looks good, I am just afraid that the "quick read"
may not be that quick given the above considerations (to ensure that no
relevant content is lost).

Baptiste