[LEDE-DEV] [RFC] A new developper documentation for OpenWrt/LEDE

John Norton bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:19:33 PDT 2017

On 25/10/2017 17:22, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As an occasional contributor to OpenWrt/LEDE, I am often frustrated by the
> lack of good technical documentation.  By "technical documentation", I
> mean a detailed, reasonably complete and up-to-date documentation on "How
> things work under the hood" and "How to do advanced stuff with the build
> system".  That is, documentation targeted at hackers, contributors, and
> would-be developers.
>
> So, here is a RFC proposal of a new developer documentation based on git
> and Sphinx:

I share the frustration, and imho the lack of good docs is a big barrier
to serious contributions
(I mean beyond adding support for new devices).

I like your idea, I don't think that being in git would be bad for
developer docs, as:

people actually writing these things should be developers in the first
place so it's reasonable
to assume that they won't be turned off by having to use git, as they
use git anyway.

Also the fact that to change the docs you need to get past a person with
commit access
should help filter and correct changes by someone that actually knows
well the system.

We can easily import the text from git to be shown (read-only) in the
wiki too,
for the sake of easy access for all.

What MUST live in the wiki is user-oriented documentation,
as it is the one most non-developers contribute to.

-Alberto