[LEDE-DEV] Kernel version in next major release

Stijn Tintel stijn at linux-ipv6.be
Sun Oct 8 08:25:42 PDT 2017

On 07-10-17 14:43, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> What is your opinion on this topic? Am I missing some arguments?
> Currently I would prefer solution 3 going with kernel 4.9 and 4.14.
I actually preferred to have a 2nd major release in 2017, using only
kernel 4.9, and then a 3rd major release early 2018 using only kernel
4.14. Unfortunately we seem to lack the manpower to get this done, so I
am fine with exploring option 3. My only concern with this, is that it
will increase the workload for service releases.

Either way, as I said on IRC, I think we should give option 3 a try for
our next major release, and revert back to supporting a single kernel
version per release if that proves to be too difficult to maintain.

For > 4.9, please have a look at
This was in perfect shape, but I messed up when reworking after the
split of patches directory to {backport,hack,pending}. Nonetheless it
should be easier to start from there than to redo everything from scratch.


More information about the Lede-dev mailing list