[LEDE-DEV] STP, rSTP and MSTP

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:13:42 PST 2017

resending, since I initially sent it from my GMail phone app, which
does not allow plain-text mode
[ and i keep forgetting ]

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Lucian Cristian <luci at createc.ro> wrote:
> On 28.11.2017 13:39, Stefan Peter wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pablo
>>
>> On 28.11.2017 11:05, Pablo I. Pousada Rial wrote:
>>>
>>> Does LEDE implement just basic STP, or does it provide access to RSTP or
>>> MSTP?
>>
>> The Linux kernel only implements basic STP. I successfully have used
>> mstpd from https://github.com/mstpd/mstpd for RSTP, but I never tried
>> MSTP.

I have a plan to package mstpd for OpenWrt.
It’s in work in progress.

RSTP works fine in mstpd.
MSTP has been reported to not work well with some switches.

Maybe we’ll find some resources to test mstpd’s MSTP compliance.

Tbh I never tried STP, but it should work fine as well.

>> With kind regards
>>
>> Stefan Peter

> there is another option found in feeds http://www.openvswitch.org/features/

> there is another option found in feeds http://www.openvswitch.org/features/

OVS implements both STP & RSTP.

It requires that you use it’s own bridge implementation vs Linux bridges.

What I don’t like about OVS, is the bloat.
It’s data-center centric, and it uses plenty of RAM.
An example from memory: you cannot create 100 OVS bridges and make it
fit onto 128 MB of RAM, running on a ar71xx platform.
Also, OVS’ flash foot-print is big: it would be hard if you need to
fit it in anything lower than 8-16 MB of flash.

There were some tentative discussions about trying to trim it down,
but there is some resistance there.

Depending on what’s needed, either OVS or mstpd could work.

I’ve been wanting to package mstpd sooner.
It’s also very small for needs that are closer to embedded.
The initial maintainer of it (Vitalii) intended it for embedded.

We’ve also been using it successfully as an RSTP implementation.
Problem with our use-case is that we’ve written some swconfig hooks
that upstream does not like.

In any case, I’ll try to find time to package it in a more
OpenWrt-friendly fashion that works nice with netifd.
It should still work fine out-of-the-box.