[LEDE-DEV] Problem with console without console=ttyS0 bootarg

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 13:22:29 PDT 2017

On 14 March 2017 at 07:37, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My current DTS file contains following entry:
> bootargs = "console=ttyS0,115200"
> and it works in a following way:
>
> Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
> Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
> [    9.320212] procd: - early -
> [    9.323174] procd: - watchdog -
> [    9.924724] procd: - ubus -
> [    9.986055] procd: - init -
> Please press Enter to activate this console.
> === WARNING! =====================================
> There is no root password defined on this device!
> Use the "passwd" command to set up a new password
> in order to prevent unauthorized SSH logins.
> root at LEDE:/#
>

> If I enable "ttylogin" in /etc/config/system it works quite similarly (just
> asks for a login):
>
> Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
> Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
> [    9.362481] procd: - early -
> [    9.365550] procd: - watchdog -
> [    9.983522] procd: - ubus -
> [   10.044877] procd: - init -
> Please press Enter to activate this console.
> LEDE login:
> LEDE login: root
> === WARNING! =====================================
> There is no root password defined on this device!
> Use the "passwd" command to set up a new password
> in order to prevent unauthorized SSH logins.
> root at LEDE:~#
>

> My problem appears when I drop bootargs and use:
> stdout-path = "/chipcommonA/serial at 0300:115200";
> instead (which is a non-deprecated DTS solution).
> In such case I can't login anymore:
>
> Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
> Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
> [    9.340180] procd: - early -
> [    9.343141] procd: - watchdog -
> [    9.944758] procd: - ubus -
> [   10.006092] procd: - init -
>

> Do you know what's the reason for this? Can we have a proper console support
> while using upstream preferred syntax for the stdout-path?
> Please note entering failsafe mode it not affected by this.

Since noone got idea how to handle this, I added workaround as for now
in commit 0a05fbd135663 ("bcm53xx: add support for TP-LINK Archer C5
V2")
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commit;h=0a05fbd1356631a1f903adcd63ffb05550537667

You can find it in the 320-ARM-dts-BCM5301X-Add-serial-to-the-bootargs.patch