[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Mathias Kresin dev at kresin.me
Fri May 12 15:15:20 PDT 2017

12.05.2017 23:45, Val Kulkov:
> On 12 May 2017 at 17:40, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 May 2017, Val Kulkov wrote:
>>
>>> I should also note that it is extremely important to ask the right
>>> question. You get what you ask for. Apparently, the developers voted
>>> on this question: "Re-brand LEDE to OpenWrt?" (see the link above)
>>> IMHO the question should have been "Should the merged project be
>>> called OpenWrt?"
>>

>> the vote was not "should lede be re-branded", it was "what should the merged
>> project be named"
>>

> David, please see the exact question here:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-adm/2017-March/000436.html

It might not be easy to get for people which were not involved in the
whole process, but let me assure you as a LEDE developer the question
was "what should the merged project be named". Anyway, thanks a lot for
explaining to use what we have voted about.

>>> Because the issue is not whether to re-brand LEDE to OpenWrt, the
>>> issue is the whether the merged project should retain the old name
>>> that quite a few people consider to be tainted now.
>>

>> yes, there are some people who hold very strong opinions on the topic, but
>> the vote was held and the majority voted for the name openwrt.
>
> The majority? There was a tie. Please see the above link.

No it was a +1 for OpenWrt. What you are linking to was a (preliminary)
summary. The last vote about the topic was
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-adm/2017-March/000437.html,
which makes it +1. There were no more votes in the following two month.

Now that all ambiguities are cleared, everyone can go back to work
instead of writing/reading pointless mails.

Mathias