[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Fri May 12 08:22:17 PDT 2017

On 12 May 2017 at 08:02, Edwin van Drunen <edwin at vandrunen.net> wrote:
> I understand that the vote is done amongst the developers, the people actually running the project, this makes sense.
> But if the goal of the project is not only to keep yourself busy, but also to target a larger audience, it makes sense to base some decisions on "market research".
> The name is very important for user perception and influences the audience you will reach.
>
> If I may make some educated guesses, I suppose it were the LEDE developers who mostly didn't care about the name and their vote could easily be influenced by "external data", such as a user poll.
> And I suppose it were mostly the OpenWRT developers that insisted on keeping the OpenWRT name.
> So if you would do a poll amongst a larger group (the audience), let the developers see the results and then let them do the final vote, I think there would no longer be a majority vote for going back to OpenWRT.
>
> The focus on involving the community more and also the LEDE name brought a lot of goodwill, entirely because of the perception of professionalism.
> In the future this will also influence the willingness of people and companies to donate (money, equipment and time).
>
> With kind regards,
> Edwin van Drunen

Edwin, you educated guess is right on the money:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-adm/2017-March/000436.html
Interestingly, there was no "minor majority", there was an even tie,
and a very story telling tie.

I should also note that it is extremely important to ask the right
question. You get what you ask for. Apparently, the developers voted
on this question: "Re-brand LEDE to OpenWrt?" (see the link above)
IMHO the question should have been "Should the merged project be
called OpenWrt?"

Because the issue is not whether to re-brand LEDE to OpenWrt, the
issue is the whether the merged project should retain the old name
that quite a few people consider to be tainted now.

I hope that the developers who voted on the question "re-brand LEDE to
OpenWrt" should at least consider voting on "should the merged project
be called OpenWrt" before the final decision on the name of the merged
project is made.