[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

Stijn Segers francesco.borromini at inventati.org
Fri May 12 01:13:07 PDT 2017

Davig Lang wrote:

> The (soon to be former) LEDE developers don't want @openwrt.org
> addresses, so
> providing a way to not break the existing addresses and not giving out
> new ones
> doesn't seem like it is upsetting to any of the developers.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The thread title states 'proposal',
and as far as I understand it, it's a 'package deal' that still has to
be voted on.

> There is 'some are more equal than others' and there is not breaking
> existing
> communications channels.

The aftermath of the split showed there's good reason for disabling them
altogether: people using their @openwrt e-mail addresses to claim
legitimacy and authority while being barely visible in the day-to-day
dealings of the project.

> You can never eliminate @openwrt.org addresses from all the
> documentation on the
> Internet, or from everyone's address books, so it makes sense to have
> the
> existing addresses keep working.

Indeed you cannot, but you could obsolete existing addresses perfectly
fine, and just have them forward e-mail to one general contact address.

Stijn