[LEDE-DEV] openwrt and lede - remerge proposal

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed May 10 17:09:15 PDT 2017

On Thu, 11 May 2017, Alberto Bursi wrote:

> On 05/11/2017 12:33 AM, Paul Oranje wrote:
>>
>>> Some of the rules has to change, and as we've discussed it with John, one might want to send upstream submissions to make OpenWrt show up there like other projects do. You might also want to open a private conversation between the upstream platform / driver maintainer where having a project email address could be useful. Personally I only use my owrt address for FOSS related stuff and as far as I know, most people do the same.
>>>
>>> LEDE has a rule which says: "Committers being unreachable for three months in a row shall get their commit and voting rights revoked in order to retain the ability to do majority votes among the remaining active committers." This rule is clearly problematic if you would like to extend voting rights to non-coders which I believe we want to do. Someone maintaining the wiki or the forums might never commit anything, but we do want to get their opinion heard. In the past we didn't make it easy for the community to interfere with decisions, I doubt we want to make the same mistake again.
>> Intentions matter. Nonetheless a rule that tries to prevent that non-cooperation can be used as a way to obstruct, should not be set aside by intentions; this rule may very well be a sleeping rule that, unhoped for, might just be needed when lesser intentions become a problem. While on the other hand in the interpretation of a rule, its intention is very relevant and helps to apply it to cases that may seem not to fit when interpreted in a (to) narrowly strict way.
>>

> That's easily dealt with by adding conditions for non-programmers to get
> (and also lose) "voting rights", while leaving the current condition for
> programmers.

I'm confused, how do the current conditions for comitters not work for other
contributers? They don't in any way involve the person contributing code, it
just requires that they are reachable one time in a three month window. If you
can't respond to one e-mail in three months, then you really aren't part of the
project any longer.

All it takes is changing the word "Committers" to "Contributers".

The existing method of giving programmers commit/voting privileges will work
just as well for non-programmers (i.e. a vote of the people who currently have
voting privileges)

David Lang