[LEDE-DEV] Proper way to deal with "dual firmware" ar71xx devices

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu May 4 13:45:54 PDT 2017

Mathias Kresin <dev at kresin.me> writes:

> I had a similar problem with the dual image feature of brnboot in
> lantiq. It resulted in the following two patches:
>
> https://git.lede-project.org/d7438ce3152e2e0dc1678dcb24ca050dbc2733c8
> https://git.lede-project.org/60ac4852745c69ae13a770dc343b648925b73ca2
>
> Since lantiq uses the device tree it is a device tree focused
> solution. It is for sure not the holy grial in terms of reusability
> and there might be more elegant ways to do it. But it might give you
> an idea.

Yes, thanks a lot for the pointers.  It looks like one of the options I
was thinking of, except that I guess I would have to hardcode partition
names instead of using dt properties.

Let's see if I can get around to writing something similar.  But I will
have to get myself another test board first..  The one I have is in use,
and mounted in way that makes console access almost impossible.  Not good
for testing anything that might fail.

> As there is no sysupgrade support for the board at all, I never had to
> think about ways to change the active partition bit from
> userspace. But as far as I understand your mail, replicating the dual
> boot feature in LEDE isn't your primary objective.

That's correct. I am mainly wanting LEDE to work properly regardless of
which partition it is installed in.

Bjørn