[LEDE-DEV] dnsmasq sometimes fails to start on 17.01.0

Eric Luehrsen ericluehrsen at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 17:24:11 PDT 2017

On 03/29/2017 11:57 AM, Yousong Zhou wrote:
> On 24 March 2017 at 03:17, Gui Iribarren via Lede-dev
>> I continued yeterday further debugging this, i played with this
>> particular number in /e/i/dnsmasq
>> (line 815 in http://pastebin.com/FV09f2jG)
>>
>>     procd_add_raw_trigger "interface.*" 2000 /etc/init.d/dnsmasq reload
>
> I cannot yet reproduce the issue, but here are some findings after
> reading code of procd
>
> The 2000ms and 60000ms above as argument of procd_add_raw_trigger is a
> delay before running the specified action when the event occurs.  It's
> NOT a timeout to wait for the action to complete before killing it.

I have noticed other quirks with this trigger. It seems to be busy or
noisy. If you replace "reload" with "restart" for example or if you
inspect time stamps of /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf, then you will see that the
trigger issues every few minutes. The hotplug/iface script is much more
targeted at IFUP with new and unique configuration. The busyness and the
short fuse (2 seconds) may be falling over itself.

I ran into this setting up the net/unbound package to work like dnsmasq.
I made the mistake of "restart" instead of "reload". I just though I'd
use hotplug I put in last fall, but with procd. The delay timer is nice.
When a power outage cause the router and modem to go through a few
handshakes on reboot, Unbound would be crashed out in procd. "reload"
fixed that, but then no hard "restart" trigger is configured. It would
be nice if (1) procd had a README with a solid paragraph on each
procd.sh user-end function. (2) there were ways to be better refine the
interface triggers to only a true interface reconfiguration.