[LEDE-DEV] Release 17.01.0 binary packages have changed and SDK inconsistency

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Tue Mar 28 13:37:31 PDT 2017

Hi Pau,

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 09:28:22PM +0200, Pau wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am using the SDK and IB from LEDE 17.01.0 release (mips_24kc). I've
> been using it successfully the last days until now. I did not change
> anything but I get the error:
>
> * opkg_install_pkg: Package luci-lib-nixio sha256sum mismatch. Either
> the opkg or the package index are corrupt. Try 'opkg update'.
>
> Then I went to downloads.lede-project.org [1] and I see that there are
> new compiled packages with date "Tue Mar 28 18:35:15 2017".
> Luci-lib-nixio is one of them [2] (which now is published on the
> repository with a new version).

Packages from the feeds and even base-packages (think: openssl) can
change after a release, just like for other distributions.
The error message you see more looks like being caused by inconsistent
Package index not matching the actual binaries. Maybe regenerating
the index can fix that...?

> In the other hand the feeds.conf.default file included in the release
> SDK points to the specific commit
> a100738163585ae1edc24d832ca9bef1f34beef0 from  Sat Jan 28 01:38:06 2017.
> The SDK published then is not consistent with the current package binary
> repositories.

The SDK doesn't need to be consistent with all packages, but the fixed
commit (instead of a branch) is indeed misleading (and most likely got
rather political reasons, like not poluting a repo called
github.com/openwrt/packages with a branch called for-lede-17.01...)

> So my question here is: what's the point for publishing a Release if the
> packages included are changing? Is this the expected behavior?

Definitely not the expected behaviour, but packages may and should
change, eg. for bug or security fixes.

Cheers

Daniel