[LEDE-DEV] Kodi

Daniel Engberg daniel.engberg.lists at pyret.net
Wed Mar 15 03:57:55 PDT 2017

Hi,

While I applaud your achievement I'd don't see such projects viable in
terms of maintainability and longevity.

Pulling in Kodi will result in lots of external packages and
dependencies to make it usable in a reasonable way.

There are several issues with this:

* In general binary size > performance and/or functionality pretty much
always takes priority, this is a major issue when it comes to multimedia
(ffmpeg and friends comes mind).
* It's more or less duplicating work already done by projects like
LibreELEC, OSMC etc.
* You'll need to import a lot more of 3rd party libs and applications to
make it a viable/reasonable user experience and there's a overall
concern about build performance of the buildbots.
* Will anyone properly maintain all packages? We're already now
struggling keeping the current repo somewhat up to date and
maintainable, adding very niche packages certainly won't help.

Whether we like or not about 90% or so of all efforts goes into
something network related, I don't think we in a foreseeable future want
LEDE to turn into a swiss army knife and/or jack of all trades.

Best regards,
Daniel