[LEDE-DEV] Need fix / advice / idea

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Sun Mar 5 10:31:56 PST 2017

On 03/05/2017 04:25 PM, Denis Periša wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have situation where one of my devices (rb435g) has lot of bad
> sectors on (NAND) kernel partition.
>
> First of all, are those partitions physical? Can they be somehow
> re-partitioned by kernel cmd line or? I'm left with only under 1mb of
> usable space so I need to make kernel that fits that available space.
>
> Currently `make kernel_menuconfig` does not work, any news on that?
> Any ideas on how could I salvage this device to be usable?
>
> Network boot is a option, but that's last resort.
>
> Thank you!

You can try repartitioning through bootloader if you have serial
console, see here
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RouterBOOT

Then you may need to patch this file's partition list too and compile
your own firmware, so LEDE actually uses the new partitions you have set
up in the bootloader.
https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ath79/mach-rb4xx.c#L148

The kernel is compiled by default to add this
https://github.com/lede-project/source/blob/master/target/linux/ar71xx/config-4.4#L245

to the kernel command line added from bootloader.

I don't know that device so I can't tell you more specific info.

Note that in most devices there are hardware setup or bootloader
partitions that should not be touched.

-Alberto