[LEDE-DEV] Github's new TOS

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Mar 2 14:24:31 PST 2017

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 02:18:45PM -0800, David Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Daniel Golle wrote:
>
> > Sounds very reasonable to me. From what I understood that was all
> > about partial quotes which show up as part of search-results and the
> > github website without the attribution required or full-text license
> > next to it. In a way that sounded like an excuse, because they could
> > just embed the required text-blocks into the site and display them
> > on-mouse-over of the SPDX tag, which would technically speaking make
> > that change in their usage terms unnessecary, thus I got suspicous.
>
> haivng to send a large chunk of license data for each snippet in a search
> result would greatly multiply the size of the downloaded page, not nice to
> users.
>
> This change seems reasonable to me.

Sure does. The article kinda claimed that github would then also
implicetely have the right to relicense code to 3rd parties under
BSD-like terms with that change, but I guess we can safely assume
that this is not the case and the grant to github for 'basic services
like search to function' is really only for that purpose and it
cannot be transfered to 3rd parties.