[LEDE-DEV] Github's new TOS

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Thu Mar 2 14:00:45 PST 2017

Hi Alberto,
Hi Eric,

thank you for getting into this. I'm quite the oposite of a legal
expert, so this might all just as well be rather meaningless FUD.

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 07:26:02PM +0000, Alberto Bursi wrote:
> Again I'm not seeing anything evil.
>
> I tend to see any accusatory article as highly suspicious unless they
> quote fully the bad parts of the documents they use as proof of
> wrongdoings, and neither of those you cited does. I might be spoiled
> brat, but that rule of thumb has never let me down.

Sounds very reasonable to me. From what I understood that was all
about partial quotes which show up as part of search-results and the
github website without the attribution required or full-text license
next to it. In a way that sounded like an excuse, because they could
just embed the required text-blocks into the site and display them
on-mouse-over of the SPDX tag, which would technically speaking make
that change in their usage terms unnessecary, thus I got suspicous.

Cheers

Daniel