[LEDE-DEV] procd: cherry-pick fixes into lede-17.01 branch

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Tue Jun 20 12:19:40 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:04:05AM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 06/20/2017 07:52 AM, Daniel Golle wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've created a lede-17.01 branch for procd so fixes can be
> > cherry-picked from master onto that branch.
>
> I suppose that works, but I would be a bit concerned that we may have to
> do the same thing with other "sub" projects that are maintained (netifd,
> ubox etc.) and that maybe just putting the different patches under
> package/*/*/patches may be equally easy to manage.

I think in terms of managability creating a patches folder and putting
files there is about as easy as creating a git branch.
The advantage of the git branch is that one can more easily compare
between the different branches, ie. see the diff between lede-17.01 and
master. But true, it requires a git clone and the hash of the
sourcefile on the download mirror also changes each time.
However, I generally think it's worth the effort, but my preference of
the branch-based solution is not a very strong opinion. Anyone else
has an opinion whether creating a lede-17.01 branch for each
sub-project vs. adding patches to a 'patches' folder belonging to that
package inside the source.git tree should be prefered?