[LEDE-DEV] Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X-SFP - LEDE vs. EdgeOS

Sven Roederer devel-sven at geroedel.de
Tue Jun 6 07:07:20 PDT 2017

On Montag, 5. Juni 2017 11:29:59 CEST Torbjorn Jansson wrote:

> so i don't know if i want to swap over to lede/openwrt permanently (more
> or less) and it would have been really nice if you could have one of the
> two running firmware as lede/openwrt and the other one as the built in
> edgeos and then easily swap between them.

An relatively easy way to swap between EdgeOS and LEDE is using a initrd-
kernel-image of LEDE. You just need to hookup a serial-console ten you can
tftp this image on the board and it will be running in RAM-only.
You will not have persistent storage, but as long as the board is powered it
should all work.

> if it was possible to easily run both and swap between them i would
> change right away and give lede a try.
> yes i know my way around electronics and can probably hookup the serial
> port and get that working but helps if i don't have to and have an easy
> way to fall back in case i screw-up

I personally use dd to dump the mtd-partitions to another machine, to have
them as backup. So you can revert to EgdeOS anytime, as long as uboot ist
still running

Sven