[LEDE-DEV] Handling the image generation process on ARC770

Alex alex.g at adaptrum.com
Mon Jul 24 21:21:41 PDT 2017

On 07/24/2017 11:54 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2017-07-24 20:09, Alexandru Gagniuc wrote:
>> On 07/24/2017 01:42 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
[snip]
>>> I think the most sensible way would be to change the kernel to support
>>> load_addr == entry_point. This could be achieved by adding a small
>>> assembly stub that gets linked to the beginning of the kernel image
>>> which jumps to the real entry entry point.
>>> Some other architectures, e.g. MIPS, have been doing this for a long
>>> time. Is it feasible on ARC as well?
>>
>> I'm not aware of any technical reason as to why it can't be done. I do
>> not know why the linker sections are arranged the way they are. My guess
>> is the decision was fairly arbitrary. At the same time, I don't get to
>> make those decisions.

> Why don't you get to make those decisions?

I meant it doesn't make much sense to jump on linux-snps-arc and propose
changing the linker layout as long as I don't have a strong
understanding of why it was done in a specific way.

>> I understand from your answer that there is no way to have the LEDE
>> buildsystem generate the correct images without changing the kernel
>> entry point, right?
> We could extend the build system to add support for that, but I would
> strongly prefer to fix it in the kernel instead.

I don't think that will be necessary. The end goal is to boot the system
from SPI flash, so a squashfs image might be in order as the final
solution. I can have two device rules for the time being.

Alex