[LEDE-DEV] Handling the image generation process on ARC770

Alexandru Gagniuc alex.g at adaptrum.com
Mon Jul 24 11:09:27 PDT 2017

On 07/24/2017 01:42 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2017-07-21 18:53, Alexandru Gagniuc wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking to write some rules to generate images on an SOC we're
>> trying to port over.
>>
>> I need a vmlinux-initramfs ELF file with DWARF debugging information.
>> This is useful because it goes straight to gdb and can be loaded over
>> JTAG. I can write the following rule:

[snip]

>> I'm assuming that's not how the buildsystem was designed. Is there any
>> sensible way of putting these rules together into a single 'define Device/'?

> I think the most sensible way would be to change the kernel to support
> load_addr == entry_point. This could be achieved by adding a small
> assembly stub that gets linked to the beginning of the kernel image
> which jumps to the real entry entry point.
> Some other architectures, e.g. MIPS, have been doing this for a long
> time. Is it feasible on ARC as well?

I'm not aware of any technical reason as to why it can't be done. I do
not know why the linker sections are arranged the way they are. My guess
is the decision was fairly arbitrary. At the same time, I don't get to
make those decisions.

I understand from your answer that there is no way to have the LEDE
buildsystem generate the correct images without changing the kernel
entry point, right?

Alex