[LEDE-DEV] replacing mountd with blockd - looking for testers

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Mon Feb 27 03:46:06 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:48:23AM +0100, John Crispin wrote:
> On 27/02/2017 11:43, Alberto Bursi wrote:
> > There are quite a few NAS devices that have 2+ disk activity leds (one
> > for each disk) that could really use a generic system instead of adding
> > patches to drivers/kernel.
>
> dont get this, why is a kernel patch required ? if there is an
> appropriate trigger at hand, we will use it otherwise it will be
>
> * off - no device attached
> * on - device attached
> * blink - device mounted

There are devices (like the KD20) which got 2 LEDs for each S-ATA port:
a red one to indicate a faulty disk and a blue to indicate link-up and
port activity.

Will, I wrote this patch a long while ago (and use it on oxnas)

https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=blob;f=target/linux/generic/patches-4.9/834-ledtrig-libata.patch

Maybe this LED trigger could take a parameter from userspace to
indicate the mount-status as well (unless there is a way to get
use-count from inside the libata subsystem?)

Anyway, I tried submitting this upstream and it was deleted from their
patchwork within a day with no reason given what-so-ever, I guess
because they believe that the generic 'disk' led-trigger is good
enough...

Cheers

Daniel