[LEDE-DEV] Identifying kernel version (major) during build (.mk file)

Jonas Gorski jonas.gorski at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 12:16:15 PST 2017

Hi,

please don't top-post.

On 20 February 2017 at 20:03, Mauro Mozzarelli <openwrt at ezplanet.net> wrote:
> Jonas,
>

> There is in some cases where kernel drivers have changed. As you might see
> in the ip_vs patch I posted, kernel drivers differ in Kernel 3 and 4 and
> thus it is necessary to know which kernel I am building for to select the
> appropriate kernel configuration.
>
> If the granularity requires to specify the patchlevel, and if LEDE had more
> than one Kernel 3 patchlevel instead of just 3_18, then I would have to
> specify all of them in my makefile. Not only that, but also I would have to
> modify my makefile to include new Kernel 3 versions should they be added in
> future to the LEDE build.

But there is no significant 3.x vs 4.x difference. You might see a
module that was introduced in 4.0 so it happens to look like a 3.19-
vs 4.0+ (so 3.x vs 4.x) change, but that's just coincidence. It might
have as well be introduced in 4.1, or in 3.19. So there really is no
reason to treat the 3.19 => 4.0 switch differently.

Jonas