[LEDE-DEV] Identifying kernel version (major) during build (.mk file)

Jonas Gorski jonas.gorski at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 01:40:00 PST 2017

On 19 February 2017 at 12:50, Mauro Mozzarelli <openwrt at ezplanet.net> wrote:
> Thanks to those who provided directions.
>
> I will settle with checking on LINUX_3_18.
>
> I am not sure who manages build variables, but in future it would be useful
> to be able to identify which kernel major version we are building for.

Major version has no real meaning, what was expected to become 3.20
Linus decided to name 4.0, but the amount of changes between 3.19 and
4.0 were not significantly larger or more radical than the changes
between 3.18 and 3.19, or 4.0 and 4.1. IIRC the main reason for
increasing the major version was to keep the minor version from
growing too large.

So I don't think there is really anything to be gained by being able
to explicitly tell 3.x and 4.x (or 4.x and 5.x etc) apart.

Regards
Jonas