[LEDE-DEV] Is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE (WiFi Range Extender) ?

Dennis Schneck dennisschneck at web.de
Sat Feb 18 21:07:07 PST 2017

Thanks Alberto and Daniel

i found this https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wa850re ( i know other model )
so i thought there is a way to get it work...

Gesendet: Samstag, 18. Februar 2017 um 20:02 Uhr
Von: "Alberto Bursi" <alberto.bursi at outlook.it>
An: "lede-dev at lists.infradead.org" <lede-dev at lists.infradead.org>
Betreff: Re: [LEDE-DEV] Is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE (WiFi Range Extender) ?

On 02/18/2017 07:40 PM, Daniel Golle wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 06:32:53PM +0100, Dennis Schneck wrote:
>> Hello,
>> is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE ?
>
> Due to the lack of an Ethernet port the device is currently very hard
> to support properly. It's also known to have a very hard to access
> UART, so it's easy to brick and hard to revive... I just wouldn't
> recommend anyone to buy such a thing, chances are high that you'll
> end up with an unusable device sooner or later.
>
> Anyway, for proper support we'd need either:
> * adding wireless interface being enabled as AP
> * mimic WPS button functionality of stock firmware
>
> Both are not trivial in the current framework and would require
> changing the way wireless configuration is initially being generated.
> While this is generally an area which is being worked on, I'm not aware
> of any other devices having wireless enabled after being flashed
> initially.
> As a hack or temporary work-around, this is easy to achieve though.
> Ufo (CC'ed) put some work into adding board support for this device,
> maybe he can point you to his current work-in-progress patch.
>

> Cheers
>

> Daniel

There are some such wifi-only devices supported like the "D-Link
DCH-M225 Wi-Fi Audio Extender", and it seems they have wifi enabled by
default with this commit:
https://github.com/lede-project/source/commit/0d5277f73fe4071df4273784e3252d520cef8a6e[https://github.com/lede-project/source/commit/0d5277f73fe4071df4273784e3252d520cef8a6e]

-Alberto