[LEDE-DEV] FS#490 - BT Home Hub 5 Ethernet WAN Port configuration

Mauro Mozzarelli mauro at ezplanet.net
Fri Feb 10 09:44:14 PST 2017

John,

To summarize, with my use case scenarios I am trying to make the point
that the effort to make the Red Ethernet behave as a WAN does not have
to be a priority because it is the least useful case on this router.

The priority should be:

1) to make it usable as another Ethernet interface (name it LAN2, EWAN,
XWAN does not matter) appearing by default in the list of interfaces on
a fresh install.
2) as every interface, it should be possible to BRIDGE Red Ethernet to
other interfaces like LAN.

(1) is already achievable, but manually configuring files that will get
overwritten if not saved (/etc/board.json) and using a
counter-intuitive, not listed (in luci) device name that confuses end users.
(2) to date my attempts to bridge the interface to another interface
(LAN) have failed as reported in FS#390.