[LEDE-DEV] ar711xx MikroTik conflicting image recommendation

John Ricardo johnricardo03 at mail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:47:16 PST 2017

>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I just purchased a MikroTik RB493G that I would like to try 17.01-rc1 on.
>> I found the page:
>> https://lede-project.org/docs/targets/ar71xx[https://lede-project.org/docs/targets/ar71xx]
>> and it says to use the generic ar71xx images
>>
>> However https://lede-project.org/toh/start?dataflt%5BBrand*%7E%5D=[https://lede-project.org/toh/start?dataflt%5BBrand*%7E%5D=]
>> mikrotik&dataflt%5BModel*%7E%5D=rb493g
>> refers me to openwrt.org and a page that hasn't been touched since 12.09.
>>
>> I have also read the thread
>> MikroTik RouterBoard ar71xx changes by Felix Fietkau but it lacks detailed
>> directions for me to follow.
>>
>> Which imsage should I use and what is the best way to try it out?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>

> Ditto on information to further test new Mikrotik models.
>
> I'm testing on 912G 5HPnD (BaseBox 5). I had previously loaded
> Chaos Calmer per the docs on openwrt successfully, but of course no
> sysupgrade, UBI, squashfs, etc. However, when I test the current
> LEDE changes, after sysupgrade from RAM, the bootloader doesn't load
> the kernel. Probably, still trying to load a file in a filesystem
> ./kernel.
>
> I'm new to Mikrotik hardware, so working to figure out how to gain
> bootloader console access to see what is going on and configure the
> bootloader to work properly, assuming this is the problem. Any
> pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Note, my path
> of firmware on the hardware is RouterBoard stock -> Chaos Calmer ->
> LEDE
>
> John, follow the directions on the openwrt site under "common
> procedures for Mikrotik" to "Setup dnsmasq DHCP/TFTP server" using the
> LEDE RC images. After booting with LEDE ram image, scp to /tmp the
> LEDE sysupgrade image, then use sysupgrade to flash.
>
> Joe AE6XE
> www.aredn.org[http://www.aredn.org]

I read the directions from the openwrt site and I think the LEDE
ram image I want to use is this:
lede-17.01.0-rc1-r3042-ec095b5-ar71xx-mikrotik-vmlinux-initramfs.elf

I don't see a sysupgrade image in
https://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.0-rc1/targets/ar71xx/mikrotik/

Where do I find it?

Thanks,