[LEDE-DEV] NETSHe mac80211 GPL sources

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Fri Feb 3 03:16:35 PST 2017

Hi Alberto,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 10:59:38AM +0000, Alberto Bursi wrote:

> On 02/03/2017 07:35 AM, Stanislav V. Korsakov wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > We provide our GPLed and dual licensed source codes to our customer only.
> > Not our source code is available at http://gw.stasoft.net/dl/
> >

> What you wrote here sounds like a license violation.
> Source code of GPLed software you use *must* be provided to everyone
> that asks it, not just to customers.
> That's what the GPL license requires.

Strictly speaking, it must be provided to anyone who also got access
to the binary. So, if you offer a free download of the binary, you must
provide the sources under the same terms. Ie. by downloading the
binaries from the website, that makes me a customer entitled to ask for
the sources.
However, if you provide the binaries only to customers or keep them
"in-house" (that's what most telcos do), only the parties which were
handed the binaries can ask for the sources, that's at least how I
understood the GPLv2.

Cheers

Daniel