[LEDE-DEV] new RBM33G board

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Mon Dec 25 20:39:34 PST 2017

Hi Dan,

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 10:50:41AM -0700, dan wrote:
> Guys, new product from mikrotik.  RBM33G.  Has a MT7621A CPU w/ 16MB
> of flash, 256MB RAM, and pcie m.2.
>
> This thing has 2 mini pci2 slots and 3 gigabit ethernet port and looks
> nearly perfect for a dual radio, quad channel mesh box.

Sounds promissing :) And the price is also quite convincing...

> I see that there are some devices with this cpu already supported by
> lede.  Any chance someone has got their hands on this unit and know if
> the bootloader is usable ie if LEDE will run on it?  If not, anyone
> take bounties to 'port' LEDE to a specific board?

MT7621 is generally quite straight forward, all boards I've seen for
now use MTK's SDK U-Boot which could even be replaced quite easily
in case it is locked down or anything.
Porting LEDE hence shouldn't be very hard, I estimate that to be one
hack-evening for it to be running somehow, two days to include support
for a non-intrusive initial flash method (support vendors web-ui
firmware format, tftp/recovery or find a backdoor).
I'd be up to do that for getting the hardware + you-name-it.

Cheers

Daniel