[LEDE-DEV] fixing of image file names

Mathias Kresin dev at kresin.me
Tue Dec 12 13:17:36 PST 2017

12.12.2017 21:02, Piotr Dymacz:
> On 01.12.2017 16:12, Mathias Kresin wrote:
>> I really doubt that upstream is going to accept vendor prefixes if
>> they aren't used anywhere. I would prefer to use what already exists,
>> add our own prefixes where required and upstream them at the time the
>> dts is send upstream.
>
> I don't know but have a look at "opalkelly" [1] (recent example).

Thanks for the pointer. I have to admit I'm surprised to see this commit.

I've not yet decided how to deal with upstreaming vendor prefixes used
in our devicetree source files. But most likely I will postpone it to a
later point.

>> So far I have only seen a handful of distortions in compat strings,
>> like underlines. Never noticed any (special) charter beside [a-z],
>> [0-9] and [-_].
>
> I was able to find also examples of: '+' in [2], '.' in [3] and '/' in
> [4]. What's more, we have '+', '@' and '/' in our tree: [5], [6], [7].

At least the distortions in our tree can be fixed. For everything else
we need to accept that a compat string to image name mapping doesn't
work that easy or isn't possible at all. Depends on how far someone is
willing to go with replacing special chars.

>> For now I tend to leave it as it is. Of course, it doesn't improve the
>> situation for the mentioned boards, but it doesn't make it worse
>> either. Otherwise I would be busy with fixing all the corner cases
>> instead of improving the situation for the (majority) of the boards
>> where it is already easily possible. Yeah, call me lazy ;-).
>
> You are the last person I would call lazy ;)
> Thanks for your hard work on this!

Looks like it's safe to commit the first batch of related commits from
my staging tree.

Mathias