[LEDE-DEV] Strange build error

Zoltan Gyarmati mr.zoltan.gyarmati at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 04:52:27 PDT 2017

Dear All,

i'm fighting with an odd build error on my build server VPS, using
current master and the RT5350F-OLINUXINO profile:

When trying to re-build the LEDE tree (after a successful initial
build), i get this error:

> make[5]: Entering directory
> '/home/zgyarmati/lede/build_dir/target-mipsel_24kc_musl/linux-ramips_rt305x/linux-4.9.44'
>   CHK     include/config/kernel.release
>   CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
>   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>   CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
>   CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
>   CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
>   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
>   GEN     usr/initramfs_data.cpio
>   AS      usr/initramfs_data.o
>   LD      usr/built-in.o
>   AR      lib/lib.a
>   EXPORTS lib/lib-ksyms.o
>   LD      lib/built-in.o
>   LD      vmlinux.o
>   MODPOST vmlinux.o
>   GEN     .version
>   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
> lib/lib.a(decompress.o):(.init.rodata+0x2c): undefined reference to
> `unlzma'
> lib/lib.a(decompress.o):(.init.rodata+0x38): undefined reference to
> `unlzma'
> Makefile:972: recipe for target 'vmlinux' failed

The odd thing is that the same config on my laptop (Debian
testing/Buster) builds and rebuilds correctly, while on the VPS (Debian
9/Stretch) it fails with the error above.
I've checked all the dependencies, digged into the environment to figure
out what is the significant difference, but i couldn't hunt this down.
My best guess it that is related to the fact that the build server runs
on a VPS, but no solid evidence on this yet...

Do you have maybe an idea where to look?

--
Zoltan Gyarmati
https://zgyarmati.de