[LEDE-DEV] uhttpd/luci authentication using SSL client certificates

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Mon Aug 28 03:22:34 PDT 2017

Hi guys,

we would like to use SSL client certificates to authenticate to a OpenWRT/LEDE
router using UHTTPD/LUCI. We use a private PKI/certificate chain and would only
like to admit users to the WebUI which present a valid SSL client certificate
through their web browser.

I've found a note in the OpenWRT wiki [1] which looks like this should be
possible in theory. Has anyone ever done this, and/or can give me some
pointers? Would this be possible with uhttpd, or should I switch to a
different webserver?

Thank you!
     Simon

[1] https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/secure.access#webui, at the bottom it
says "to do: indicate how mandatory client certificate checking could be set
up"