[LEDE-DEV] IPv6 link locals, vlans and bridging

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sat Aug 26 02:21:24 PDT 2017

On 25/08/17 14:54, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> On 25-08-17, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant wrote:
<snip>
> Are you sure it's related to your complex bridging setup?  Maybe dnsmasq
> just fails to answer on link-local IPv6 addresses in all cases?
>
> This was already reported before: https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=677
>
> Baptiste

Hi Baptiste,

So now everything is working perfectly.  I have apparently changed
nothing (in that I've returned everything back to normal after some
testing/fiddling)  dnsmasq correctly responds to requests to link-local
addresses both on the router (which it always did) and from a variety of
clients.  I'm totally confused.

What I *am* becoming increasingly suspicious of is clients ability to
understand the interface identifier syntax found in resolv.conf .eg.
%wlan0  ie. nameserver fe80::62e3:27ff:feaf:9e50%wlan0   (Actually I was
very impressed that the dhcpv6 client understood the fact it has
received a link local address fe80::62e3:27ff:feaf:9e50 and knew to add
the interface id!)

I'm doing a little bit of playing with 'dnseval' and that doesn't get
link-local interface id syntax.

Confused,

Kevin