[LEDE-DEV] Modules should have default parameters as part of packaging

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Aug 10 12:26:21 PDT 2017

Hi,

There are times when the default module parameters are suboptimal for OpenWrt/LEDE, for instance NICs may have defaults which are optimized for end-systems (hosts) and not transit-systems (routers).

This bug is outline in FS#935:

https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=935

I took some work that Florian started (called out in the FS):

https://git.lede-project.org/?p=lede/florian/staging.git;a=commitdiff;h=473eedd8669280d7aeee98e37b8f8ac935b214aa

and extended it, and this is now PR #1274:

https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/1274

I’m looking for a review.

The e1000e driver, for instance, does better with a conservative adaptive interrupt throttle policy and using MSI instead of MSI-X (MSI-X is better suited to desktop systems with lots of devices, especially multi-function devices).  I use this driver as an example of bundling distro-specific parameters.

Thanks,

-Philip