[LEDE-DEV] early printk breaks kernel on the clearfog board

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 12:39:16 PDT 2017

Hi everybody,

I noticed a serious problem with a Clearfog build that enables
CONFIG_KERNEL_EARLY_PRINTK=y.
In short: after Loading Kernel, the serial console stays completely
silent, and apparently the board does *not* boot.

This came as a serious surprise to me.
Turns out the reason for this is the usage of the old uart physical address:
CONFIG_DEBUG_UART_PHYS=0xd0012000
This is the default for if DEBUG_MVEBU_UART0
However the Clearfog Pro uses mainline u-boot, and requires:
CONFIG_DEBUG_UART_PHYS=0xf1012000

Any opinions what should be done about this?
I personally suggest to switch to what the kernel config calls "new
bootloaders".
After all this is quite the trap when somebody is so thoughtful to start
with a debug build, only to find out that is the reason his builds don't
boot.

Imre Kaloz: you are the one who committed this setting with config-4.4,
so I figured you may have some valuable insight here.

br
Josua Mayer